Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colourless gas, which is produced when fossil fuels are burned. Carbon monoxide or CO is poisonous to humans and animals. Within the home, accidental CO poisoning is most frequently caused by defective furnaces, fireplaces, flues, and oil heaters. If home appliances such as air conditioners and furnaces aren’t working properly or aren’t adequately vented, they can steadily fill your home with this poisonous gas.
Have your heating system and any other gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician at least once a year.
Get a battery-powered CO detector for your home. Check or replace the battery when you alter the clocks each spring and fall.
Leave your home immediately and contact emergency services if the detector alarm sounds. If you think you may have CO poisoning or are feeling dizzy or nauseous, get medical attention.
Never burn anything in a fireplace or stove that isn’t vented, do not try and heat your home using a gas oven, and never leave a car or truck engine running inside a garage attached to a house, even if the door is open.
It’s very important to have your Furnace and chimney cleaned to avoid this deadly problem.